Moorebank Intermodal Company (MIC) has entered an agreement with the Sydney Intermodal Terminal Alliance (SIMTA) under which SIMTA will build and operate an intermodal freight precinct at Moorebank.
The freight precinct will include:
- A 241 ha precinct comprising Commonwealth Government land ('the MIC site', 158 ha developable area) and SIMTA land (83 ha developable area).
- A single development able to handle:
- 250,000 import-export (IMEX) containers a year from late 2017, and ultimately up to 1.05 million IMEX containers a year; and
- 250,000 interstate containers a year from around 2019, and ultimately up to 500,000 interstate containers per year.
- Up to 850,000m2 of warehouses where containers can be unpacked before delivery to their final destination.
- One rail connection to the Southern Sydney Freight Line that enters the precinct at its southern boundary.
- Possible future relocation of Moorebank Avenue external to the precinct (subject to future planning approval), which will remain open for public use.
- Substantial biodiversity offsets protected from development, including vegetation on the eastern bank of the Georges River, which will be enhanced and preserved.
For more details on the agreement phase see the announcement.